Wincanton Invests In New Green Wavin Fleet
Wincanton, the leading European supply chain provider has just purchased eleven new aerodynamic high cube trailers for their Wavin contract which are set to improve fuel efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions. The trailers also come bristling with a host of safety features.
The bespoke 13.7m long, Tri-axle step-frames sport the Don-Bur “EcoStream” curved front roof section, which has been aerodynamically proven to reduce drag and therefore, fuel.
Running at just 4.2m high in Wavin livery, the new curtainsiders have been specified to cater for Wavin’s pipe-carrying requirements. Seven central support pillars, running down the length of the trailer, have been engineered to accept twelve moveable, cantilever arm racks, that can be positioned at any height and provide the flexibility to forklift-load a wide variety of differing radius pipework. If required, these padded-top arms can be stowed on-trailer in a specially built storage box located on the nearside at the rear. The benefit of the racking system is a higher percentage load-fill and lower resultant delivery miles.
Wincanton is passionate about maintaining a high safety standard and these trailers incorporate a significant number of features designed to reduce injury risk:
- “Easyglide” curtain rollers provide low resistance curtain-opening
- Curtain strap assemblies have been stress-rated at 1500kg
- All load restraint straps are labelled to comply with BS EN 12195
- 2 sets of “Fall-arrest” cables and harnesses have been specified for work at height
- Reverse sensors and indicators provide added awareness of object proximity at the rear.
- 4 sets of pull-out access steps – each with supporting “3 point contact” grab poles
- Recessed additional tread steps in trailer step
- All access areas have been finished with high visibility grit flooring
- Provision of a bespoke working platform (700mm above floor) at rear with integral access ladder and safety gates
Jim Leaney, General Manager at Wincanton for Wavin says “The new trailers represent Wincanton’s ongoing commitment to maximise operational efficiency, maintain safety standards, and demonstrate our ability to reduce CO2 emissions.”
Written by: Richard Owens
Published by: Don-Bur